RRL Online Sim Racing

Fantasy F1

RRL Online Sim Racing

suspectmonkey

Donator
Nice front-page story for the league, @Simon Fillingham I assume :)

I was hoping to do a short write up for each round, but wasn't sure whether it was best to keep them all in this thread or not. Could also be used on the homepage if you'd like, but I'll not take offence if they're not news worthy :D

Simon Fillingham

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
Steward
Driver Champion
Media
Nice front-page story for the league, @Simon Fillingham I assume :)

I was hoping to do a short write up for each round, but wasn't sure whether it was best to keep them all in this thread or not. Could also be used on the homepage if you'd like, but I'll not take offence if they're not news worthy :D
Yes, im always interested in stories for the front page. Anything motorsport related is cool. Even better if theyre already written for me and all i have to do is post! I look forward to the next round up :)

suspectmonkey

Donator
Lost mytop spot goddammit, Danny Ric doing me no favours... he's gotta go!!!
To quote myself earlier in the week...

I've a new rule not to pick anyone with a Renault power unit in the back from here on
:D

Looks like playing my wildcard to rejuvenate the team might have been the right call, although after switching out Vettel/Ferrari for Bottas/Merc I did get very lucky in the end.

Any idea what happened K Mag? Had him as my Turbo driver but he seemed to drop way back and I can't remember seeing why on the highlights!

Simon Fillingham

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
Steward
Driver Champion
Media
I definitely picked the wrong McLaren driver. But I know as soon as I drop Sainz, he'll start showing why I picked him.

Some things to ponder for me. Hamilton was my only performer. Hulk was robbed of high points, Kvyat was slow, Magnussen was awfully slow and Sainz failed to finish yet again. Like Simon, I know Sainz will come good the second I drop him, so he's staying. Kvyat may have to go for the next race.

suspectmonkey

Donator
Round 2 of the 2019 Formula 1 World Championship took us to the desert in Bahrain. From the opening practice sessions it was clear that Ferrari had recaptured their pre-season form, with Leclerc and Vettel both comfortably topping the timesheets. A fascinating qualifying session saw Leclerc put the pressure on Vettel, taking pole position by 0.3s from his teammate for a Ferrari front row lock out.

Unfortunately fairy-tales rarely come true in Formula 1, and Leclerc was denied a maiden victory despite dominating the race when his Ferrari dropped a cylinder in the closing stages. Luckily for the Monegasque driver an extraordinary double Renault retirement caused the race to finish under safety car, allowing him to hang on to P3 at the chequered flag.

Vettel should have been in a position to capitalise on his teammate's misfortune, but suffered a spin immediately after being passed by Hamilton. Vibrations caused by his flat-spotted tyres resulted in a dramatic front wing failure, forcing him to pit and cross the line in P5.

And so Mercedes secured their second consecutive 1-2 finish of 2019, with Hamilton taking the win ahead of Bottas. A surprising result given their relative lack of pace earlier in the weekend, but proof you can never discount the Brackley team!

In the Fantasy League it was Simon's RRL Motorsport who moved to the top of the table with an unchanged lineup from Week 1. Josh's RRL Gazelle team retained second position, with former championship leader Ethan's Triple S Racing slipping to third.

It was Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes who were top performers of the weekend, taking home 46 and 74 points respectively. Lando Norris deserves an honourable mention, bringing home 22 points courtesy of a P6 finish despite his $6.9m price tag!

It's been a difficult start to the season for Ricciardo, Sainz and Grosjean who all suffered retirements leaving them with a negative points tally. Hulkenberg completed a trio of Renault powered retirements in Bahrain, leaving the French manufacturer with only 14 points for the season so far and languishing behind Williams and Toro Rosso who both have 36 points.

Next stop is the Shanghai International Circuit for the Chinese GP, another circuit that is likely to suit the Ferrari. However, they'll have to ensure they deliver on the promise of their car if they want to prevent this season turning into a repeat of 2018. Luckily it looks like they have a brave new hope in the form of Charles Leclerc, who is surely a future world champion in the making!

RRL Motorsport | @Simon Fillingham | 248 points (+156, >2)
RRL Gazelle | @SuperGazelle | 243 points (+142, -)
Triple S Racing | @Ethan Kearley | 221 points (+117, <2)
Craic Chicane | @suspectmonkey | 220 points (+169, >1)
Snelle Jelle | @Jelle Ooms | 174 points (+103, <1)
URL Motorsport | @Skenys | 158 points (new entry)
Peki Racing Team | @Peki | 91 points (new entry)

Simon Fillingham

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
Steward
Driver Champion
Media
Love the post race write-ups, Jon!
Yes, indeed. Thanks Jon for your efforts!

Im in a predicament...

Well , actually, i said thinking points were awarded as they are in the official championship. It seems not, and that there is a host of point scoring possibilities.... https://fantasy.formula1.com/points-scoring

I will stick with Racing Point as my team for now, but accept im losing potential points. But i dont wanna really tinker with my driver line up just yet, perhaps Sainz will go before China.

Oh the pressure's of being #1 :rolleyes:

Hope youre feeling better Jon, btw :)

suspectmonkey

Donator
Love the post race write-ups, Jon!
Yes, indeed. Thanks Jon for your efforts!
Thanks guys, I appreciate that! I enjoy writing them and hopefully it keeps the interest going throughout the season!

Hope youre feeling better Jon, btw :)
Yes Simon, thanks! I had such a blinding headache the other evening that I just had to lie down in a dark room. I work as a software developer and I think spending all day sitting in front of a monitor and then spending much of my evening doing the same is starting to take its toll! I think I'm going to take a proper break from the computer this weekend and sit out the GT4 race at Anderstorp and hopefully I'll be fighting fit for the last round!

suspectmonkey

Donator
Shanghai played host to the third round of the Formula 1 World Championship for the Chinese Grand Prix. F1 were keen to remind us that this was their 1000th race, which gave plenty of opportunity to reminisce over some of the spectacular moments that have occurred throughout the last 69 years.

Unfortunately it's unlikely the 1000th race will live long in the memory, with Lewis Hamilton taking a dominant victory having jumped pole-sitter Valterri Bottas at the start. With Mercedes securing their third consecutive 1-2 finish, the Silver Arrows already find themselves with an ominous 57 point lead in the constructors championship. With only 6 points separating Hamilton and Bottas in the driver standings and seemingly no one else able to challenge, could this be a repeat of Hamilton vs. Rosberg in 2016?

Another driver to capitalise on the start despite being on the "dirty" side of the track was Charles Leclerc, passing teammate Sebastian Vettel into the first turn. It wasn't long until Vettel was on the radio advising his Ferrari team that he was being held up by Leclerc, who was instructed to swap positions with Vettel at the end of lap 10. Having taken 3rd position Vettel was unable to match the pace of Leclerc, who was clearly disgruntled at having to surrender the position, and the pair drifted further from Bottas and into the clutches of Max Verstappen.

Sensing an opportunity Red Bull pitted Verstappen to take advantage of the undercut, forcing Vettel to stop the following lap and retain his position with little to spare. Unfortunately this now left Leclerc vulnerable and he rejoined in 5th position after his pitstop. Ferrari were now left racing Verstappen's Red Bull rather than Bottas' Merc, and with Verstappen opting for a two-stop strategy the top teams were forced to follow suit to avoid a repeat of last year when Ricciardo snatched a late victory following a safety car period.

At the finish line it was Vettel who rounded out the podium in 3rd, followed by Verstappen and Leclerc. Many will question the wisdom of Ferrari switching their drivers so early in the race, and so early in the season, having appeared to lose a position as a result of that decision.

RRL Motorsport retained their position at the top of the Fantasy League, with Simon fronting an unchanged lineup. Jon's Craic Chicane team moved up two places into 2nd, with just four points now separating him and Simon. Triple S Racing maintained their 3rd position, with Ethan having both the winning driver and constructor in his team, whilst Josh's RRL Gazelle team dropped two places to 4th.

Once again it was Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes who were top performers for the weekend. An improvement in form for Pierre Gasly saw him collect 22 points from the weekend, and with a $17.4m price tag he could make an interesting proposition for team managers as he is eligible to be nominated Turbo driver.

Round 4 will head to the shores of the Caspian Sea for the Azerbaijan Grand Prix. After a dramatic race through the streets of Baku in 2018, which saw a total of 7 DNF's including Bottas from the lead and both Red Bull's, it's clear there are plenty of points still to be won and lost!

RRL Motorsport | @Simon Fillingham | 405 points (+157, -)
Craic Chicane | @suspectmonkey | 401 points (+181, >2)
Triple S Racing | @Ethan Kearley | 391 points (+170, -)
RRL Gazelle | @SuperGazelle | 370 points (+127, <2)
Snelle Jelle | @Jelle Ooms | 342 points (+168, -)
URL Motorsport | @Skenys | 289 points (+131, -)
Peki Racing Team | @Peki | 231 points (+140, -)
Raijin Racing | @BeefSupreme | 130 points (new entry)

Simon Fillingham

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
Steward
Driver Champion
Media
Sainz continues to be my weak point, but at least he finished in China. Not happy that Ferrari are favouring Seb already, cost me more points for Leclerc no doubt.

Racing Point - well of course id like Mercedes as my team but that would mean tinkering with the drivers more than I would like too. I'm trusting the pink outfit will settle down soon.

suspectmonkey

Donator
Sainz continues to be my weak point, but at least he finished in China. Not happy that Ferrari are favouring Seb already, cost me more points for Leclerc no doubt.

Racing Point - well of course id like Mercedes as my team but that would mean tinkering with the drivers more than I would like too. I'm trusting the pink outfit will settle down soon.
It definitely feels like both McLaren drivers haven't been able to show their worth due to reasons outside their control! If either Sainz or Norris get a clean race they could score decent points!

I'm really interested to see how your Racing Point strategy plays out! They were best-of-the-rest as constructors at the weekend, but then again only scored 25 points compared to 85 for Merc. However, it affords you a great driver line-up, and playing Gasly as Turbo was a smart move!

RRL Online Sim Racing RRL Online Sim Racing RRL Online Sim Racing