Round 1 Road America GP discussion (60 mins) | 15/08/18

RRL Online Sim Racing

Simon Fillingham

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
Steward
Driver Champion
well, in the Seventy Seven garage, driver feedback has seen the cars been tweaked and the infuriating understeer problem can now be eliminated through a corner. frustratingly, every action has a reaction and this is proving true with finding the right balance for the car. dial out too much understeer and the car becomes quite nervous on corner exit which is ok to handle when the tyres are good, but after 15mins we are perhaps risking too much. so its a bit of a trade-off. we've done enough laps to know how to handle the car if we play safe and accept a bit of understeer, but theres no denying our best speed is when we risk a bit more and have a more responsive car.

Tyre wear is giving our mechanics a few headaches too. We're expecting rapid degradation with x3 tyres, but at the moment it seems to be uneven wear across the 4 tyres.

Ralf and I are fairly even on pace but we're looking for consistent steady laps with no mistakes as this will be the key, as always, to good points in the opening round.

Thats my practice done. No more wondering if ive made the right choice.

See y'all on Wednesday!

I've done some practice with the venerable Mustang now, too.

It's apparent that a lot of discussion will center around the heavy tire wear which may also shift more attention to pit stops. I considered it thoroughly while testing, and have this observation to share with the field. Keep in mind that these are the secret tips of a race rookie, but if another driver can take advantage of these hot tips that would be just swell.

What is needed is a strategy to minimize tire degradation and I have found just the trick. The savvy driver will gain advantage by making judicious use of track cuts to reduce turns and thereby friction and lateral forces which are the enemy of tire life.

On top of this, it will not be lost on the sharper drivers that one can further optimize tire life by stretching each tour of the track cuts across as much grassy area as possible. This not only reduces friction at the tires further due to the slippery condition of grass melting onto hot rubber, but has the added benefit of lowering tire temperatures whilst sailing across the grass, thereby further reducing tire wear once the driver is forced to rejoin the track due to the tire temperatures subsequently exhibiting a lower temperature for at least 15 seconds, hopefully long enough to get the driver to the next grassy area where another pleasurable tour can be taken. In theory, if a driver were good enough at this, he might gain another advantage in not needing to make a pit stop.

Now, as a rookie, I would not go so far as to suggest that this is a winning strategy, but it might get one the award for coolest tires at the end of the race.

Simon Fillingham

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
Steward
Driver Champion
Looks like RaceRoom is going to be down for maintenance tomorrow whilst they deploy the WTCR patch. What disruption this will cause to this race, i don't know. We can only hope the patch is out early and everything runs smoothly once it is back live.

Please bare in mind there will be a significant download (~600MB) to install once RaceRoom is back up so don't leave it until the last minute to do so.

Max

Sorry guys but I won't be able to drive tomorrow due to my Oculus disconnect problems. I faced that issue only a few times but had black screen in the rF2 test race on sunday and now I'm facing it much more often and I don't want to destroy someones race tomorrow.
I'm alread in contact with the Oculus support and really tried to fix that issue during the last days but it seems to be something with the Rift.

Tried to train with my normal monitor today but after practicing so many laps in VR it is just impossible to drive that on screen again. I'm not even able to drive a whole lap :-( It's as if you suddenly drive with one eye closed from the back seat looking throuh some tube ... I wonder how I could drive this way all those years

Have fun .... I'm so sad as I was really looking forward to this :-(

1 day to RACE DAY! :D

The Carousel at Road America almost reminds me of Eau Rouge / Raidillon, without the blind 10m jump that surely leaves a real driver's stomach on the asphalt. So no, it's not really even close but it is still in the league of ultra-insane super fast corners of racing where it's completely infathomable that any real driver could go through there that fast.

Once I enter it, already in 3rd gear, it's just balls-to-the-wall full throttle, and by halfway through I find I'm bouncing off the rev limiter and need to shift!

Fortunately these days there are paddle shifters and no clutch (for me, at least, I have a T300RS wheel) because I couldn't imagine being able to shift there under the G forces of the turn. I think it's too close to race day now for me to mess with gearing to reduce how much I'm on the rev limiter and not sure if it would work out anyway. Hope I don't blow the engine over 60 minutes, I think R3E allows for it.

Just imagine, though, riding through that turn at what, about 180 kph (110 mph), under I don't know how many lateral g's (~2 G on racing tires?), and the engine bouncing off the rev limiter the whole way. What a thrilling ride! Certainly not like my sleepy drive home from work...

My best today in the Mustang at Road America is a 2:07.9.
But mostly I find myself running 2:09-2:10 laps. It seems pretty stable at 2:10 which maybe all the GTR3 class do, but that's about what I expect to run tomorrow. Fortunately, the tire wear is not bad at that speed, even at 3x, I'm hoping those trailblazers will need an extra pit stop to make it close. ;)

Nemanja

1 day to RACE DAY! :D

The Carousel at Road America almost reminds me of Eau Rouge / Raidillon, without the blind 10m jump that surely leaves a real driver's stomach on the asphalt. So no, it's not really even close but it is still in the league of ultra-insane super fast corners of racing where it's completely infathomable that any real driver could go through there that fast.

Once I enter it, already in 3rd gear, it's just balls-to-the-wall full throttle, and by halfway through I find I'm bouncing off the rev limiter and need to shift!

Fortunately these days there are paddle shifters and no clutch (for me, at least, I have a T300RS wheel) because I couldn't imagine being able to shift there under the G forces of the turn. I think it's too close to race day now for me to mess with gearing to reduce how much I'm on the rev limiter and not sure if it would work out anyway. Hope I don't blow the engine over 60 minutes, I think R3E allows for it.

Just imagine, though, riding through that turn at what, about 180 kph (110 mph), under I don't know how many lateral g's (~2 G on racing tires?), and the engine bouncing off the rev limiter the whole way. What a thrilling ride! Certainly not like my sleepy drive home from work...
WOW you really got the inspiration :D :D

Simon Fillingham

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
Steward
Driver Champion
Sorry guys but I won't be able to drive tomorrow due to my Oculus disconnect problems. I faced that issue only a few times but had black screen in the rF2 test race on sunday and now I'm facing it much more often and I don't want to destroy someones race tomorrow.
I'm alread in contact with the Oculus support and really tried to fix that issue during the last days but it seems to be something with the Rift.

Tried to train with my normal monitor today but after practicing so many laps in VR it is just impossible to drive that on screen again. I'm not even able to drive a whole lap :-( It's as if you suddenly drive with one eye closed from the back seat looking throuh some tube ... I wonder how I could drive this way all those years

That's too bad Max.
I occasionally have no image in headset of Oculus. An unplug/plug of the usb in headset AND at PC end, followed by a pc reboot usually does the trick.

Well, it was totally an attempt at humor on my part, good thing I have a day job... :confused:
:D I was hoping it was humour, but couldn't be sure!

Daniel Badcock

Media
Morning all!

It is finally race day! Seems an age since I last raced competitively due to missing the back end of both the Crew Chief and Summer Slam Championships... I am happy today is upon us!

Had fun on the server last night and did a 25 minute run where i consistently ran 2:07s however after 20 minutes the tyres were shot! Not sure what other people are thinking pitstop wise but I wouldn't be surprised if we see some people stop twice... It will be a toss up whether you gain more time than you lose by pitting... Hmmm... Decisions, decisions!

Anyway, I hope you all have fun tonight and wish any newcomers to RRLeagues the best of luck too!

See you on track tonight :D:D

Simon Fillingham

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
Steward
Driver Champion
however after 20 minutes the tyres were shot! Not sure what other people are thinking pitstop wise but I wouldn't be surprised if we see some people stop twice... It will be a toss up whether you gain more time than you lose by pitting... Hmmm... Decisions, decisions!
When you say shot?
Past their best, yes. For me, I can run my tyres down to 0% without the car being undriveable. Lap times will severely drop off & my tyres will be well into the flashing orange stage, perhaps even red come 30mins, but imo this has to be a 1 stop race which means making your tyres last to have any chance of a good finish.

J. Forsberg

Staff member
Donator
Events Coordinator

So sorry Max, hope you have your headset back to work asap.

Nemanja

Yes, but he was doing race pace in 2:04's, and the fastest lap was 2:03,9 i believe. With all due respect i dont think any of us can do constantly 2:04's on full tank (and with x3 tyres).

And that payed off only for 2 drivers.

Here's the best lap Leaderboard for GTR3 class at Road America going into today's race. The top 7 spots are all occupied by Nissan GTR or Audi R8. These Division 1 guys are incredibly fast.
1534350394417.png

RRL Online Sim Racing RRL Online Sim Racing RRL Online Sim Racing