Round 7 Zandvoort GP discussion (60min race) | 21/11/18

RRL Online Sim Racing

Simon Fillingham

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
Steward
Driver Champion
Welcome to the RRL-R3E-S21-GTR3 Round 7 Zandvoort GP thread.

SESSION TIMES (GMT)

60 min Race

Official Practice: 19:00 (60 mins)
Qualifying 1: 20:00 (15 mins)
Race 1: 20:15 (60 mins)

TRACK DESCRIPTION

Circuit Zandvoort is an old school race track located in the Netherlands, directly in the dunes near the coast line. The 4.3 km long track offers fast and sweeping corners as well as tight hairpins that provide excellent overtaking opportunities. It’s a real challenge and the drivers love it.

TRACK LAYOUT

1541631631409.png

DRIVER BRIEFING

ALL drivers are required to be in the PRE RACE BRIEFING voice channel for the Driver Briefing which will commence 15 mins before Qualifying is due to commence. Those that fail to show without prior warning will be given a warning which will also gain 1 penalty point on your Licence.

LEADERBOARD

http://game.raceroom.com/leaderboard/?track=1678&car_class=class-1703

RESULTS / STANDINGS

https://rrleagues.com/r3e-championships/s21-gtr3/s21-gtr3-standings.html

INCIDENT REVIEW

https://rrleagues.com/incident-review-form.html

LIVE BROADCAST

tbc

REGISTERED DRIVERS

If any of the registered drivers CANNOT attend this event they must notify us (by leaving a message in this thread) at the earliest opportunity. Failure to do so could lead to your removal from the series.

Cleeve

Donator
Hi there, I have not done an hour long race with increased fuel and tyre ware before, could someone give me some advice about pit stops please, without giving away your strategy of course?! ;)
Right now I'm guessing a 1 stopper is possible having done the sprint races in Portimao but I'm unsure also.
Any help would be mucho appreciated :)

Simon Fillingham

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
Steward
Driver Champion
Hi Clive :)

You'll need to stop for fuel & tyres in this race which you can service at the same stop.

Tyre wear will be heavy again, and for me making them last 30mins will be the hardest part of the night seeing as they were on 0% at Portimao after 25mins, and I expect Zandy to be harder on tyres. But making them last 30 minutes is something you must do as an extra pit Stop to change tyres will cost you at least an extra minute.

Cleeve

Donator
Hi Clive :)

You'll need to stop for fuel & tyres in this race which you can service at the same stop.

Tyre wear will be heavy again, and for me making them last 30mins will be the hardest part of the night seeing as they were on 0% at Portimao after 25mins, and I expect Zandy to be harder on tyres. But making them last 30 minutes is something you must do as an extra pit Stop to change tyres will cost you at least an extra minute.
Cheers man, yea what you said is what I suspected, I'm in same boat as you, I was skating around by the of the two races in Portimao. So a one stopper is what I'm aiming for, right better start practicing some conservative driving ;)

I might not make it for tonight's round, my super pimped up 307 is up for MOT, and i need to remove all the performance enhancement parts i put on for it to pass MOT. :(

Ok then its a lie, its a 100% stock 307 2.0(136hp), but still needs MOT.

Daniel Badcock

Media
So... Who reckons they will be able to pull off a 1 stop race? From practice I think it will be tough to do a 1 stop but with 60 minutes, you kind of have to!

Daniel Badcock

Media
Yeah... My front left last night was awful! Think I did about 6 laps and it was down to 75% at one point... Have changed set up since so practice this evening will be be the deciding factor!

uk2008

Donator
Well 2nd zandvort race of the week.
it started well before wtcc even with getting some help from other members with a setup and trying out a few different ffb profiles.

practice before sever.
times felt good in low 1:40's then managed to pull a low 1.39 on leaderboard so I knew there was time there..

practice felt Good again took me a little bit to bring laptimes down but got there eventually with a mid 1:39

quali p19. low fuel fresh tires and grip what's better? ... few attempts but got a 1.39 but god the possitions were tight a few 10's less and would of started even further up grid

race: got a good get away off the line and made up maybe a possition or 2, unfortunately got caught out by the porche braking very early as soon as I saw brake lights I followed suit but despite my best efforts I ended up giving him a light love tap on the rear (not much I could do to be honest (despite being able to brake earlier but would of lost more possitions) )
that dropped me down to rear of feild and 1st stint was trying to stay out of trouble and I found a rythem that was bit off top pace but preserved tires well. kept my pace fairly consistent and just worked my way through feild as others made mistakes and pitted. was upto 15th on my pit lap (held bakus up for half a lap hehe)
rejoined in 22 and continued setting about trying to keep a consistent pace. and again slowly working my way up through the feild ended up I think preserving my tires better than struhah and managed to catch him and riedl who made a mistake and ended up behind me unfortunately I got on gas too early out of t3 and side swiped the inside barrier managed to not lose too much time and by this point struhah tired were gone and we passed him.. I used my remaining tire life to try and catch riedl for 17th but just couldn't do it and pushed the tires too hard so with 2 laps left I had to drop off to make my tires last till the end. a decent 18th though and felt like a good race for once!!!

thank god Robert passed me on final corner as I crossed the line with 0% front left.

ToxicTears

Staff member
Events Coordinator
Thank you very much for yesterday's race. Only a few incidents but overall a very nice experience and high quality of racing.
Unfortunately, my driving skill is absolutely unsuitable for this type of track. It was a very big difference in tire wear. I have tried different settings in the game but in the finals everything is bad in me. You can not place yourself in a good position if the tire wear per lap is 7-8%. In idle mode I had about 5% but very slow laps and great boredom.
Q: I tried to soften the car, the wing on the value 1 and 3 minutes before the end I managed to make the third fastest time. Very pleasing, but unfortunately in the depths of the soul is a bad reality that I have to go through 2 stops in the boxes.
R: I was bad at starting the race. Several chopping of the image right after the green light, I did not know what was going on. I'd rather go slowly and sideways and wait for what was going to happen. I apologize to everyone.
The pace of the race was very fast. I did not expect the others to have such a fast pace and only one stop in the boxes. The cruel reality came after 20 minutes of race. 8% left front tire.
A pit stop is very long here, but nothing has to be done except waiting for what will happen. I set out after the first stop and was quite far from everyone. With tears (toxicTears) in my eyes I saw the others move on to the first set of tires. For another 20 minutes I tried to catch up on fresh tires, but the pace was too fast. 19 minutes before the end of the race again another pit stop. I think I was 15th and tried to get as much as possible. The gas pedal was depressed to the floor. During that, Simon turned in the last corner and hit the barrier. Poor, he had a bad luck yesterday. 3 drivers ahead of me, 20 second loss on Pek, 15 seconds Haas and 10 Greg. They all had worse tires than I did, and it was obvious. Loss on Greg was lost 2-3 seconds per lap. I managed to pass Grega about 5 minutes before the end of the race. But that was all. The goal I passed was 2 seconds behind Pek and 2.5 seconds behind Haas. On the third set of tires, I only reached 8% on the left front. To me a great disappointment. 12th position on end race.
But thank you all for the beautiful ride ato that I can be part of such a party.

Pictures: https://www.facebook.com/pg/butterflieshuntersracing/photos/?tab=album&album_id=2513300095377033

Daniel Badcock

Media
Morning all!

I had managed a 1:38.2 on the leaderboard and felt comfortable in race trim doing mid 1:39's to low 1:40s but didn't find my speed until late on in practice.

Qualified 12th I think(?) with a 1:39.0 but man the times were tight in qualifying!!

Race - P7

Got a decent start and set about going round the outside at T1 and it proved a good move as there was an incident between Max(?) and another car(?) which gave me a good gap to those behind... Settling into P10 I was behind @Peter Bakus, @David Dhoore and @Nemanja and the first stint was a tense train with the two teams going at it! Somehow I lost about 4 seconds in the pit stop which was made with 2% of the front left tyre. The second stint was an odd one... I could easily catch the battle ahead but I was resisting tempation in case it burnt my tyres through... I ended up backing right off whilst managing the gap to @J. Forsberg and @mr_belowski behind... Jim has a habit of being quick right at the end and thought it might be tight... With about 15 minutes left I took a look at my tyres... 50% on the front left... half way through the stint and potentially an extra lap... Please slow down @trutya... take the flag so I don't have to do another lap!!! There was an incident somewhere as I was all of a sudden behind Nemanja who I felt I could have passed but again, didn't want to ruin my tyres even more as it was so tight!!! I thought we were on the last lap so pushed and thought about a move but didn't go for it, only to find we have 1 more lap!!!!!!!! I backed off without cruising too much as Jim was closing in like a homing missile :( Unfortunately, due to the tyres I made a bit of a mess of lapping Tomas Struhar as I caught him mid-corner and ran wide as I had nothing left... taking avoiding action, I then hit Jim... Again, I am sorry matey - I let you past as I thought I was at fault, it wasn't intentional though!

Finished P7 and with David P4, another good GT3 evening for Intense Racing... Now for the hell of Nords!!

David Dhoore

Staff member
Donator
Steward
2 x Driver Champion
Events Coordinator
My race
In quali couldn't get the perfect lap ,everytime i was at the pace of a 37 i messed it up so p8 in quali
In the first stint 30 min behind Nemanja felt that i could go quicker but i wanted to save the tires to so decided to take care of them and dont push to hard to overtake ,pitted after 30 min and had a puncture on last corner before s/f
Seconde stint i pushed for 2 laps and then same story tire management to the end ,in the end had some luck as drivers had some incidents and managed to get p4 and ended my 0% on the fronts ,1 one more lap was not possible
A very strange race it was yesterday didnt make a single overtake but got p4
My Audi was awesome on this track but i think my setup was to much leaning to a quali style lap idk tire wear was to high for the race
A good event for intense racing with p 4 and p7 for teammate @Daniel Badcock ,see you all a the green hell where we hope to end the season on a positive note

Rella

Donator
3 x Driver Champion
As usual my quali was mediocre but I could gain P5 in my last lap. I was looking forward to the race a lot because tyre management could help me but I was very unclear how the pace of our fast guys will be. The start was exciting, sometimes cockpit view is really nerve-wrecking :D Good start with Nemanja behind, Radek on the rear left, Alejandro front left, Vlastimil on the right...on the right? Suddenly the Nissan disappeared and I wasn't sure if he is just invisible and what will happen in 1st corner. 1st stint was nice on P4, gap was close enough to the front runners and didn't grow. At the end of the stint it seemed that Pavol had problems with his tyres and short time later Alejandro spunt out after accelerating out of T1. Lost again time at my pitstop but could get out in front of Nemanja and in the middle of some guys that stopped earlier or extended their 1st stint like Jim and Greg. Soon I closed the gap to Vlastimil and it was so hard to overtake but I had to pass him without hurting the tyres too much. After a nice battle of I think 3 laps I finally managed it with a gap now of ~14secs to Robert. Rest was maintaining the position and bringing the SLS home without puncture. Grats again to Robert for the win. Should have been my best result this season and I'm very pleased. See you all in the green hell, some of you already next sunday at our first final this season.

RRL Online Sim Racing RRL Online Sim Racing RRL Online Sim Racing