Round 8 Race of Macau Discussion | 02/12/18

Simon Fillingham

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
Steward
Driver Champion
Welcome to the RRL-R3E-S24-WTCC Round 8 Race of Macau thread.

SESSION TIMES (BST):

Official Practice: 19:00 (60 mins)
Qualifying: 20:00 (3 mins)
Race 1: 20:03 (20 mins)
Race 2: 20:23* (25 mins)

*approximate time.

DRIVER BRIEFING

ALL drivers are required to be in the PRE RACE BRIEFING voice channel for the Driver Briefing which will commence 15 mins before Qualifying is due to commence. Those that fail to show without prior warning will be given a warning which will also gain 1 penalty point on your Licence.

TRACK DESCRIPTION - MACAU GP

Few, if any other, circuits around the world can claim a 60-year history using virtually the same layout, but that is precisely what Macau's Guia circuit has achieved. Since 1954, drivers have threaded their way through its precarious twists and turns, its big altitude variations and a very long main straight, making this track one of the most complete and challenging of the world.

1531639937233.png

LEADERBOARD

http://game.raceroom.com/leaderboard/?track=2123&car_class=class-6309

RRL LAP RECORDS

Qualifying | Elmar Kurbanov @El Aero 2:20.894
Race |
@SergeyMelnichuk 2:22.361

RESULTS / STANDINGS

LINK

INCIDENT REVIEW

https://rrleagues.com/incident-review-form.html

REGISTERED DRIVERS

All registered drivers are expected to attend this race. If for any reason you are unable to attend then please state your absence below.

Last edited:
So I did my first laps at Macau last night. What an intense and exhilarating experience, even from the comfort and safety of a race sim! The first few laps I wondered how I was ever going to remember the layout, and how embarrassing it would be to cause a complete log jam during the race! Slowly I started to gain confidence though and began to enjoy it, particularly the sequence of corners through the Esses. Still much to do, but happy to have at least got a few sighting laps in!

I've a couple of quick questions! In both Rob Huff and Tom Coronel's track guides they mention that during the race there is a permanent yellow flag at the Melco hairpin. Is that something that will be enforced for our race? To get around the hairpin you have no option but to take a deep, wide line which leaves the door wide open. That could tempt someone to try and go up the inside, but if they do they'll never make the turn and will block the entire track. Would it would be a good idea to ban overtaking at this turn during the race seeing we don't have the luxury of safety cars or red flags?

I was also wondering how incidents and penalties work at the final race. There is obviously no following event to apply any penalty to, so are penalties ever applied to your final race result? Not that I'm expecting it to be an incident filled race or anything :D

Here's Tom's lap guide if anyone is interested:

Simon Fillingham

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
Steward
Driver Champion
It's such a thrill lapping this place, i love it :)

Melco hairpin - yes this will be a permanent yellow flag zone. Im fairly certain the yellow flag is shown in-game as you approach the hairpin, so this must be respected.

Final round penalties - thanks for reminding me, i should have posted this as the 1st reply.....

With it being the final round of the season, any penalties awarded to the drivers by the stewards after the race has finished will be in the form of a time penalty added to your total race time.

1 x Warning = +0 seconds (as the driver in question will have waited for the affected car to recover and already lost time this way)
2 x Warning = +10 seconds
No Qualification Penalty = +20 seconds
Drive Through Penalty = +40 seconds

We urge ALL drivers to drive respectfully as always.

Thanks for replying so quickly Simon. That all makes good sense to me!

Really looking forward to this race! From a personal point of view it's seriously tight in the championship table around me, so it's all to play for at a race where things could easily go wrong very quickly! At the top of the table things look just as tight, so it's going to be an exciting finale :)

Daniel Badcock

Donator
I have driven here since the horrible 911 Carrera cup cars... Looking forward to it though!

It's a shame I didn't nail my starts early in the season, not get taken out as many times as I did, had a connection problem and missed Slovakia as I think I would have been fighting for good position in the championship as when I have finished, it has been somewhere between P7 and 10 in unaffected races!

It's been good fun though guys and look forward to the Macau mayhem with you all!

Simon Fillingham

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
Steward
Driver Champion
The Series

promosmall.jpg

The one thing that’s certain going into the final round of S24 WTCC, is that NOTHING is certain….

S24 has been a turbulent ride for many involved. Some have fallen, crumbled by the strains & stresses that this series creates whilst others have emerged through the red mist, battered & bruised, standing tall for what awaits them in the Rd 8 finale - hell!

The WTCC class is proven to produce some of the most intense racing to be found at RRL. It brings with it a real sense of competitiveness with drivers up and down pit-lane confident of success and a decent points haul and what S24 has done is show that S12 WTCC was no fluke. Last weekend's race at Zandvoort gave us our 9th & 10th race winners of the season, matching the tally of S12, and with 2 races left where nothing is certain, it's quite possible to surpass the staggering total of the maiden RRL WTCC series.

The Location

18667079770_33770bc620_b.jpg

So let's mention our final destination - Macau. A place capable of providing exhilarating highs & the grimmest lows.

The buzz from nailing the 24 turns of Circuito da Guia far outweighs any purple lap at any other virtual track I have tackled. A total blitz on the senses for ~140 secs means you work your butt off for every hundredth out there with the stakes, and pressure amplified 10 fold within the metal barriers that guard the concrete jungle that forms the spectacular backdrop.

But it's also a place where danger lurks at every corner. The sub-conscience dares you to go faster, brake harder and get closer to that wall - but being just an inch wrong can leave your hopes in shreds. It's a very fine line between confidence and respect that is required to succeed at this daunting circuit.

The Contenders

David Dhoore 210pts

2018-11-26 1235 0006.jpg
David taking the victory at Circuit Zandvoort, his 1st of S24

David Dhoore is our current WTCC champion. After mounting a late charge in S12 to secure the title in the last round at Imola, David has proven he can deliver when the pressure is on. Confidence will be high in the Belgian after taking his 1st win of S24 last time out at Zandvoort. With a 14 point lead, David must be favourite going into the final round.

Ralf Arella 196pts

2018-11-26 1231 0004.jpg
Ralf experienced mixed emotions at Nurburgring. Winner of Race 2, out of the points on Race 2

Ralfs overall form is quite staggering which is why you have seen him dominate driver rankings since its introduction. With 2 wins in S24, Ralf is 1 of only 2 drivers to rack up more than 1 win this season. An exemplary talent, you can be sure that anyone who finishes ahead of the #77 driver will be a worthy champion.

Antonis Paparinopoulos 193pts

2018-11-26 1227 0002.jpg
Antonis sets out his stall in the series opener, taking the win in Race 1

Antonis Paparinopoulos was unknown at RRL coming into this series and was 1 of 4 Greeks that formed 2 ‘GSR Teams’ that would challenge for honours. Heads were immediately turned as Antonis took 2 wins in the opening 2 races and would go on to take the chequered flag an impressive 4 times up until Macau. Unfortunately for all concerned, the talented Greek has picked up in excess of the max penalty points permitted on his licence and will take the mandatory race ban at Macau, ruling him out of the championship showdown.

Summary

For what surely has been a record-breaking series at RRL in terms of incidents and penalties issued, there's no denying the WTCC class has given us bucket loads of drama, excitement and controversy. As the S24 drivers arrive in Macau, the contenders will ask for and receive no special treatment from the field who will all be looking to finish their season on a high - and the twists & turns of Macau offer the perfect opportunity. Race 2, with its reverse grid, will undoubtedly provide some very tense moments. If you're not involved in the race, this will be essential Sunday evening viewing...

Simon Fillingham

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
Steward
Driver Champion
just so everyone is aware, after last weeks update these will be the 'assist settings' on the server for tonights race...

Driver assist transmission: Free Choice
Driver assist steer: forced off
Driver assist traction control: forced factory default
Driver assist autopit: forced off
DRiver assist ESP: forced off
Driver assist brake: forced factory ABS
Driver assist raceline: off

this should make everything the same as the previous 7 rounds

Simon Fillingham

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
Steward
Driver Champion
A great meeting, 2 solid top 10's...but could have been better!
A poor 22 flat in quali still saw me get P4 on the grid, which was a surprise.

Race 1 - Narrowly avoided Jim's spinning car on exit of T2 and after getting by Fran early on, had a controlled race behind Ralf for the remainder. P5.

Race 2 - couldn't avoid the carnage that greeted me at T2 exit. More care needs to be taken here, it really is an unforgiving corner with no margin for error. By the time I exited T3 I was 2 from the back and many many seconds from the front. Knuckled down, came across a #3 Citroen with obvious problems, was fortunate enough myself to only have light damage, and recovered well to finish in tandem again with my teammate in an ok 7th position.

Been an awesome series! Haven't done myself justice I feel but spent far too long racing without VR that killed my form.

Grats to David & Ralf for whoever will lift the trophy when the stewards have finished their report. And thanks to everyone who supports our series and adds to the community. Bring on S26 WTCR!

:)

Rella

3 x Driver Champion
RRL #1 Driver
Still not sure whether Macau is an exciting or crazy event to conclude the Wtcc series. I think it was both like the whole championship ;)
Macau is not my track and from my perspective the winner of the series was clear before the start. Really didn't think that it will be that close in the end. Congrats again also here to @David Dhoore for the overall win. Also congrats to the podiums and winners of both races. Starts were good and I could quickly settle at pos4 in race 1 and felt more comfortable for race 2 after the chequered flag. Another good start and I wanted to try to follow David and learn some of his secrets at this track but then this unfortunate crash happened. Aero was fully broken and engine a bit. That made the following 25 minutes the longest I had in Wtcc. Car felt terrible and I was missing a lot of downforce at the front. So there is the proof that R3E has some kind of damage model ;) Thanks for some exciting races and a big thank you for the organisation.

Xelaz

Donator
I really like Macau and was prepared well actually. In the practice session, my speed was fine and I thought I would be competitive. However, anything that can go wrong will go wrong and with the proceeding to the qualifying session, my driving view changed to the exterior view for whatever reason. I’m not used to this view at all and started to hysterically push the arrow key to switch back to the cockpit view again but it didn’t work. Thus, I had to do the qualy lap using the hood-view and I messed it up pretty much. After proceeding to race 1 I still had the problem. Hoping I will somehow get used to this view I started but I didn’t even make it through mandarin corner. After a slight contact with Nedo (my fault) I lost control and that was race one. In race 2 I was able to get back into the cockpit view strangely. I got into this mandarin corner mayhem and had to fight with all kinds of damage afterward. At least this was a new experience :).
Thanks to all for the nice races this season. Especially, I want to also thank the organizers and stewards for their great effort.

David Dhoore

Staff member
Donator
Steward
2 x Driver Champion
I really like Macau and was prepared well actually. In the practice session, my speed was fine and I thought I would be competitive. However, anything that can go wrong will go wrong and with the proceeding to the qualifying session, my driving view changed to the exterior view for whatever reason. I’m not used to this view at all and started to hysterically push the arrow key to switch back to the cockpit view again but it didn’t work. Thus, I had to do the qualy lap using the hood-view and I messed it up pretty much. After proceeding to race 1 I still had the problem. Hoping I will somehow get used to this view I started but I didn’t even make it through mandarin corner. After a slight contact with Nedo (my fault) I lost control and that was race one. In race 2 I was able to get back into the cockpit view strangely. I got into this mandarin corner mayhem and had to fight with all kinds of damage afterward. At least this was a new experience :).
Thanks to all for the nice races this season. Especially, I want to also thank the organizers and stewards for their great effort.
You were indeed fast Alex ,grats on the pace your lb time was tough to beat ;).too bad the race didnt worked as planned

Last edited: