S21 GTR3 - your thoughts

RRL Online Sim Racing

Simon Fillingham

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
Steward
Driver Champion
S21 GTR3 was something new to us, with the 'draft' registration process and car picks being based on a teams joint ranking score. Do you think this was a good idea and helped slower/lower ranked drivers to have a slight edge over the faster guys?

What about using all the GTR3 pack (apart from Camaro)? I think that helped produce a bigger gap between the best car and the worst car which gave a little more advantage to the lower ranked driver. Thats good as there is not that much of a performance difference (imo) in the GTR3 class, but not so good as there are maybe some 'older' GT3 models that arent so nice to drive. An option in future could be to go with 9 models with 2 teams (4 drivers) for each car?

The variety of sprint, regular & endurance rounds and differing points available at each, i think that worked nice.

And the multipliers... David, Jazz & I invested quite a lot of time in this, preseason, trying to get the right combination. We didnt want something that would give identical strategies for everyone at every race, but thats pretty much what we ended up with :rolleyes:. It seems we didnt quite grasp the time it takes to change tyres in the GT3's which virtually kills a driver from trying something different. So no matter what multipliers we came up with, it seems the tyre change time would have meant we were all going to be doing the same thing.
I suppose if we had gone x1 tyres we would have been able to push more in stints rather than having to drive conservatively, but the x3 tyres were also interesting in there own way and needed a certain skill to overcome so i guess its not always about pedal to the metal!

Any thoughts / comments would be appreciated :)

Nemanja

As for me, i like everything about this season. Starting with draft, track selection (except Zandvoort ofcourse) and multipliers especially.
It brought another dimension to our racing. I think that the race should be mix of everything, not just hotlaping around circuit. If you want to save enough tyre you either change your driving style or setup, or both.

In series with longer races we should keep multipliers, maybe experiment even more with them.

Also i would put in every championship for last race Nordschleife :D

J. Forsberg

Staff member
Donator
Events Coordinator
Also i would put in every championship for last race Nordschleife :D
Haha, this !!!

Regarding multipliers it maybe didnt pay us what we expected, but there was only one way to know it. Truth be told, it was very time consuming for the 3 of us who tried to find a sweet spot for fuel and tyres, but in the end I think it made people to manage every race with a different foresight, and preparing the season taking care of details that wouldnt had matter otherwise. Oh, and I really believe we are all now better drivers thanks to it :D

We learn as we go, maybe next time we can make it per race instead of per season? (so it can be adjusted more efficiently to achieve the goal behind those multis)

I wasnt excited at all when I finally decided to join in alone and with 2-3 cars left I'd never driven before. Mid engine and very different to the gt3 cars I use to pick. First races were like "what am I doing here", but at the end of the season I can say I even enjoyed the car, learning always insteresting stuff through the champ.

Greg Metcalf

Media
i liked everything apart from different length races and Nords, which i dont believe belongs in any series,,, should be left for special one of events imo

trutya

3 x Driver Champion
i really liked the draft, of course it turned out good for me but i think every car is within 0,6-0,8s per lap if you find the right setup for it. and the AMG had also his weak points, a good all-rounder but i think on every track there is at least one or two faster car in the field.
so, to make it short, maybe we could eliminate the slowest cars what we agreed (like Ford GT, P4/5, i don't know what else, these two was generally slower i guess) and maybe the Mustang which was not very popular (however i liked it but not so gt-style), and we could keep the other 14 brands but with 2-2 teams. so it's not necessary to take every brand but still possible, or some brands will appear only with 1-1 team, there is more room for teams to choose what they want...
the multipliers was good in general but i think for strategy diversity it's maybe better to set tyre wear lower and fuel higher. so if somebody wants to double-stint his tyres it's doable.
for example, i would think about 2x tyres and 3x fuel multiplier, so for example on Nords its 3 lap stints because of fuel, but tyres are able to do 6-7 laps so double-stint is also possible if you want. what do you think? more pit stops, more chance to shake the field up and more chance to make mistakes too :)
anything else is really good, i liked it.

Rella

Donator
3 x Driver Champion
GT3 was my favourite competition this season and I enjoyed racing a lot with you guys. The car draft was a good idea and I understand the idea behind. But there are a few factors that make the system a bit unbalanced like a break that reduces a rating or the average team rating. As said most of the cars are quite balanced so I would allow at least two teams with the same car, maybe even 3, like in reality. Then you could also have a competition in the competition against one or two team(s) with the same cars. The old cars have updated physics but from my perspective the ones I tried just feel old. Although I'm a fan to see a huge variety and like the extra challenge I think it would be an even more equal competition to allow more modern cars. Furthermore I think some drivers would be more satisfied with their choice (respect to Greg that he kept racing) and we have a better chance to drive one of our favourite cars what doesn't have to be necessarily the "fastest". I would have liked to try the Vette although it was not very popular the season before. Best would be Sector3 released a few more modern GT3s...I don't mention the Aston :rolleyes:. Regarding the mixture of the length even a 60min race is a sprint race regarding the laptimes. I wouldn't need the two short races because I missed pitstop and tyre management what should be a characteristic of Grand Touring in my humble opinion. In ADAC Masters I like the two "sprint" races during a weekend with each 60 mins and a mandatory stop. This would be too long for one evening but maybe a mandatory stop might be an option although tyres could last longer. Just an idea.

J. Forsberg

Staff member
Donator
Events Coordinator
I was (actually always were) like you wanting longer races. But iirc I was the only one for, mainly because of a lets call it "general" lack of time (people with different timezones, kids, work, etc..)

I reckon I feel a bit like meh when races are only 20 min but I also understand the reasons behind. I cant recall very well how the debate went, maybe Simon or David recall it better than I do.

Greg Metcalf

Media
you generally end up with the same winner if 60 minutes or 2 hours, so may as well just be 60 minutes, plus a few of us oldies struggle with knees, back etc and if we know a series is going to require a pitstop then make it mandatory so that it shows up when someone has pitted on the stream/overlay. x2,3,4 etc fuel and tyre should always be mixed around to keep us on our toes.

A series where a random track would be chosen 15 minutes before the practice server opens on the night by an admin not in the series could make for some interesting racing. as it is there is a high chance that the winners of a race are just the people that have put in 20 hours practice but if nobody knows what the track would be then we would all have a fair shout at a win maybe?

Max

But no practice before the race could also mean that it will end up in chaos and lots of incidents as noone knows the breaking and turn in pionts and will most probably struggle with close racing.
There are drivers out there with a fantastic talant to be quick on any track with any car without much practice of course, but thats not the majority.

trutya

3 x Driver Champion
i agree with Max, some chance for practice is necessary... even i think most of us guys know the most of tracks quite well generally. but newcomers would suck, it's not that good...

David Dhoore

Staff member
Donator
Steward
2 x Driver Champion
Events Coordinator
For me the draft was a succes , it was really awesome to see all the different cars on the stream and on the replays (for stewarding). Ofc some drivers were a bit dissapointed overtime because of a certain car/track combos but i think you should take that as a challenge and make the best of it. and i think the bop is not bad, every car has his strong points only thing is its sometimes very hard to find it . I remember my race on spa where i was behind Max with his b6 bmw ,well on the fast corners i was cruising behind him and could go much faster but once on the straights omg what a power so stuck for 10 laps i believe. my point is without the draft this situation would not happened because no one would pick the b6 .
For the multipliers i cant decide if we could have done better , it can be frustrating that you cant push for the entire race but on the other hand managing tire wear is also a part of racing (zandvoort ouch my audi lightning fast there but burning tires) and thats something you cant achieve without multipliers .
And like Simon mentioned its very hard to give drivers different strategies with these gt3 cars ,the duration of the tire change is so long that its not worth it to do an extra stop and have faster laptimes , i really dont get it why sector 3 makes the pitstops so long on gt3 cars , does every wheel has 20 bolts irl or is the pit crew so incompetent or drunk ! :)

Greg Metcalf

Media
But no practice before the race could also mean that it will end up in chaos and lots of incidents as noone knows the breaking and turn in pionts and will most probably struggle with close racing.
There are drivers out there with a fantastic talant to be quick on any track with any car without much practice of course, but thats not the majority.
Who said no practice? You would get just over an hour before qualify.

trutya

3 x Driver Champion
Who said no practice? You would get just over an hour before qualify.
if you have... but what if you just arrive from work right before the qualy?
sometimes i can only join to the server around 20:30, right before the briefing... and i'm sure i'm not the only one

Peter Bakus

Donator
3 x Driver Champion
A series where a random track would be chosen 15 minutes before the practice server opens on the night by an admin not in the series could make for some interesting racing. as it is there is a high chance that the winners of a race are just the people that have put in 20 hours practice but if nobody knows what the track would be then we would all have a fair shout at a win maybe?
...I like this idea it will suit me life style ;-)

aSab

I enjoyed these races even though I collected some pretty bad results, mostly on my own account though. It was great to do this in a team, as it helped me in doing the setup of the car, to practice for the various tracks and to have a comparison on where I am with my laptimes. Attendance was great, so the pressure was always high. I don't get why pple race here ignoring their race bans and/or not serving their penalties - these should be prevented to join the server, or kicked out of the server when they are on the starting grid or at least disqualified in the race so that they don't influence the race of others. Racers should either do as the rules say or race in another league where the rules match their likings.

The draft was interesting, because I don't have all the cars and I could've ended up resigning if I'd been handed a car I don't own. So I support the idea of multiple teams per cars, but with different liveries per car.

I liked the spread of race lengths, not so much the tyre multipliers. This could be more fun if there would be an admin option on the servers to shorten the duration of tyre changes, because now it's way too long eliminating its true potentials. Until then lowering or mixing up the typre mp's seems to be an idea.

And last but not least, Skenys' streams were formidable, what a great addition to RRLeagues and this series as well!

trutya

3 x Driver Champion
i think the short tyre changes are maybe better for tactics but agains realism.... on GT3 cars tyre change is around half a minute. fast tyre changes used to be only on single-seater classes or DTM. so i'm not agains the long tyre changes, tyre management is a part of racing aswell. if we do similar things next time we could equal the numbers of sprint and longer races, maybe...

RRL Online Sim Racing RRL Online Sim Racing RRL Online Sim Racing